Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dehydrating Takes Up Less Space....: Tina

Our freezers are full from our gardens bounty by now and most of us are running out of room. That is why I have started dehydrating.  I wish I had gotten a picture of all the peppers before I thought about writing this post. I had a lot of banana peppers, bell peppers and jalapenos to dehydrate. Had enough to fill the whole dehydrator, which has 9 trays. The cayenne peppers get dried by hanging on a string, not in the dehydrator.
 
 
This is how they look before dehydrating cut up on trays.
 
 
This is after 8 hours, they dehydrate to very small pieces.

 
All 9 trays fit into 3 jars,
 (the jalapeno jar was already 3/4th full, 
                                                            I just finished filling it up)

 
Your able to fit a lot into these jars,  without taking up a lot of room, they rehydrate beautifully. They last a lot longer stored this way and won't get freezer burned. One thing I did learn was, not to dehydrate the banana peppers if they have been frozen first, they turn dark brown and look unappealing.
To rehydrate: Just add the amount that you want to use in a bowl with warm water and let soak for 5-10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment