Sunday, April 29, 2012

Scott County Grow Appalachia

May is almost here!  We have gone through a cold snap this past week.  I have encountered varying opinions on what to call our recent winter like weather.  Some people are calling it Dogwood Winter, and some people are calling it Blackberry Winter.  The winters of spring that I am familiar with are Locust WinterRedbud Winter, Dogwood Winter, Blackberry Winter and finally Whippoorwill Winter.  

I have been awoken the last two mornings before daybreak by the long song of a whippoorwill outside my window.  This reminds me that Whippoorwill Winter may be just around the corner.     

RAISED BED GARDENS:

Many of our elderly and handicap participants have requested
raised bed gardens.  The students at Scott High School have been making the raised bed boxes this past week.  

Students working on raised bed boxes






No comments:

Post a Comment